GFWC Park Study of Clear Lake Women's Club

Mission

The object of the Park Study Club shall be to operate exclusively for
the, promotion and education,good citizenship, cultural and social
interests in the community to achieve civic betterment and social
improvements.
CLEARLAKE -- The Park Study Club (PSC) was founded 71 years ago in 1943 when eight women from Clearlake Park began meeting in each others' homes.
While the impacts of World War II were being felt by the average citizen, the women of the club held book reviews and discussed topics such as arts, music, drama and civic improvements to bring culture and interest into their lives, according to club President Virginia Sibbitt.
Soon there were 22 members who needed a meeting place.
The club was incorporated as a nonprofit organization in 1947. Three of the members purchased lakefront lots and donated them to the club to be sold for profit, Sibbitt stated. Additional funds were raised from card parties, dinner-dances and cake, food and rummage sales.
The present site was purchased. After the members' husbands plastered and landscaped it, the building was occupied and dedicated to PSC in September 1959.
In November 1965, PSC joined the California Federation of Women's Clubs. From the beginning, the club collected books for a library and spearheaded a campaign for a county library. It was put on the ballot and in 1967, the county library in Clearlake became a reality.
After more than 70 years, PSC holds its commitment to community services by raising funds for scholarships, the Hugh O'Brian Foundation, local K-9 units, hospice, the Clearlake Senior Community Center and other charities and organizations, Sibbitt stated.
The club's newest endeavor is to raise funds to purchase American flags. The flags will be donated to the City of Clearlake and will fly over Austin Park. ?
The club has featured civic-minded members, some now deceased, who served in one capacity or another in the Clearlake Civic Club and Friends of the Library, Sibbitt stated. Dee Stockstead, a past president of PSC, served as president of the California Federation of Women's Clubs, Vineyard District; Jane Weaver, a past president of PSC, is the founder of the Lower Lake Historical School Preservation Committee, which is responsible for the restoration of the Lower Lake Grammar School and its conversion into a museum and theater, now known as the Weaver Auditorium; Carol Bettencourt, a past president of PSC, is currently serving as second vice president of the California Federation of Women's Clubs, Sutter District.
Sandy Ferias and Dottie Young served as members of the Clearlake Vision Task Force. In addition, members are also active in church, civic, professional and cultural organizations, Sibbitt stated.
The club is open to new members and welcomes participation in its community endeavors.
For information about PSC or becoming a member, call Membership Chairman Virginia Carlsen at 998-3501 or Sibbitt at 994-7335.

Meeting Information:
First Thursday of each month at 1:00pm with the exception of June, July, and August.


Meeting Location:
13687 Santa Clara Ave
Clearlake, CA 95422
Meeting & Contact Information
Website:


Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/parkstudyclub/about/

Mailing Address:
P.O.Box 272
Clearlake, CA 95424


Phone: 707-995-3646